IMPORTANT NOTICE: Washington DC CKGS VISA Application center will remain closed on Friday, January 20, 2017 due to severe traffic restriction on account of Presidential Inaugural.
Indian Embassy / Consulates, CKGS VISA Application Centers and Contact Center shall remain CLOSED on Thursday, January 26, 2017 on account of Republic Day.
- OCIOverseas Citizenship of India is granted to applicants who have acquired citizenship of a foreign country and who were of Indian Origin, or were or are eligible to become a citizen of India, or are a spouse of an OCI / PIO Holder or a spouse of Citizen of India. Under the Indian Citizenship Act, persons of Indian Origin are not allowed to claim dual citizenship.
- RulesWhile applying for an OCI, it is mandatory to provide proof of your Cancelled Indian passport. If you can not provide any evidence, then you are required to obtain a Renunciation Certificate which has fees and penalties based on categories selected.
- ExceptionOCI is Not Granted to any citizen who is / was and / or if their parents, grandparents or great grandparents are / were citizens of Pakistan, Bangladesh.
- Multi-purpose, multiple entries, lifelong visa for visiting India.
- Exemption from registration with local police authority for any length of stay in India.
- Parity with NRIs in respect of economic, financial and education fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural / plantation properties.
- Parity with Non-Resident Indians in the matter of inter-country adoption of Indian children.
- Parity with resident Indian nationals in matters of tariffs in domestic air fares.
- Parity with domestic Indian visitors in respect of entry fees for visiting national parks and wildlife sanctuaries, visiting national monuments, historical sites and museums in India.
- Practicing the following professions - doctors, dentists, nurses and pharmacists, advocates, architects and chartered accountants.
- You are not allowed dual citizenship.
- You have to renounce your Indian Passport.
- You have no voting rights.
- You cannot be a candidate for Lok Sabha / Rajya Sabha / Legislative Assembly / Council or a member of the House of the People or of the Council of States.
- You cannot hold constitutional posts such as President, Vice President, Judge of Supreme Court / High Court, etc..
- You cannot normally hold employment in the Government of India.